Sunday, September 11, 2011

Rough and Tough kind of day

First of all, today is the ten year anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center. I wish I had an epic story of what I was doing when I first found out, but honestly, I don't. I was an egocentric 7th grader that had no idea the implications this had. I still am hazy on what the Towers were actually used for and I used the attack as an excuse to go home from school early. However, I now am so incredibly grateful for those that lost and gave their lives to the cause of protecting the country I live in.

Another tough thing today that I will probably always remember- my dog and best friend Marne died today. He was on a car ride with me and while I was driving he jumped out of the window and the truck on my right side hit him. The man driving the truck pulled over and I pulled into the gas station across the street. I watched my puppy dog look at me and wag his tail until he was gone. It appeared that his head hit the road and by his wagging tail I think it was painless. Though it was painless for him this is incredibly painful for me. The gentleman that hit him felt awful and I couldn't give him any comfort though I was strangely calm through all of it. I picked Marne up out of the busy street and carried him to my car and brought him home. My dad came out and confirmed that we were going to have to have a funeral for him and suggested we put him under the catulpa tree. This was a perfect place- I remember my dad, brother and I planting it together excited to see how big it would get. This tree is right next to the pasture where many of my past animals have lived, where I have spent hours upon hours studying and sleeping and where Marne-Barney chased the heifers that watched him be buried. My dad offered to pray and that was a God-sent blessing for my heart- my dad thanking God for the joy that Marne has given me and thanking God for giving me a companion. My dad then suggested I go buy tulip bulbs (my favorite flowers which I doubt my dad knows) to plant where Marne is buried so they will bloom in spring.

My heart is aching for my lost friend but I have faith that God will be faithful and be good in all situations. This is especially painful because Marne was the one being that I could count on loving me unconditionally and without any reservations. I miss you already my favorite buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! I like to hear what you have to say!